Hello, knights! Steve here. For those who don’t know, I’m the creator, writer, editor, and primary voice actor for The Adventures of Red Knight.
That’s a wrap! Episode 80, “Attack of the Clones,” heralds the end of Season 4 of The Adventures of Red Knight. And what a season it was! We discovered mythical creatures, battled buildings, overcame Chthonic curses, and met friends and foes both new and old. Also, is King Dragon still a bad guy? I’m not sure, and I don’t think he’s sure either! It is, as my fellow Millennials would say, “Facebook complicated.”
What’s that you say? You like random but nonetheless interesting data? Me too! Let’s get into it!
- The average length of episodes in Season 4 increased by approximately four minutes. How fitting! That’s 48 extra minutes of adventure!
- Our average downloads increased by more than 35,000 per month. That’s a heckin’ lot of bandwidth!
- If our downloads continue as they have, we will reach FOUR MILLION total downloads by the end of the year! Not too shabby!
- The city with the most episode downloads this season was Sydney, Australia! Or, as they would say: ¡ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ ‘ʎǝupʎS sɐʍ uosɐǝs sᴉɥʇ spɐoluʍop ʇsoɯ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎʇᴉɔ ǝɥ┴
- “The Missing Crown” was originally written for Season 3, but I wasn’t quite able to pull it together into a coherent story until Season 4. I obviously use the word “coherent” here in the loosest possible way.
- My favorite joke of the season is Green Knight’s use of a recording device in “Meep the Parents,” but my favorite episode is “The Squared Circle.” I watched a lot of wrasslin’ as a young man!
- The last two episodes of the season were delayed because I got Covid! Gonna be honest: I don’t recommend it, particularly if you’re doing voice acting.
- Sam came up with the idea for “Bad Hair Day!” His original idea was for Captain Zort to actually look like a giant worm without the Florfle, which I think is absolutely hilarious, but decided against it as it might gross people out.
- Our most popular new character was Black Knight, who I am led to understand was recently arrested for standing smack-dab in the middle of the Lincoln Tunnel and refusing to move until someone defeated her in a game of Uno.
- People really, really like Monsters & Mayhem, which proves that our audience are people of exquisite taste, much like Moda.
- Our most requested character was…Fluffy the Manticore? Huh! I didn’t realize how popular he is! I’m sorry he didn’t make an appearance this season. He was busy having his tail sharpened.
- My favorite musical album this year was Strange Trails by Lord Huron, which I listened to on repeat while I washed dishes (and brother, I do a LOT of dishes). What does this have to do with the podcast? Nothing! But it’s a great album and you should give it a listen. Or don’t! What am I, your mother? If so, then congratulations on having a cool mom! Now go do your homework.
Did you hear Mel Brooks’ voice when you read that? I hope so.
If incredibly cool and stylish shirts aren’t really your thing but you’d still like to contribute to the podcast, please consider making a donation on Ko-Fi! We also have some of our old Patreon content bundled for sale there, including Red Knight’s Fairy Tales and Letters to Red Knight. Our Sam also wrote his own Red Knight episode, which is free to download! Isn’t that fun? I think it’s fun.
Many people have asked me: will there be a Season 5? And the answer is: I don’t know! To be honest, I didn’t think there would be a Season 4, and yet here we are.
Peeling back the curtain a bit, the current plan is for me to resume my hunt for a Real Job, seeing as how my kids are getting older and my original plan of winning the Lottery hasn’t panned out like I had hoped it would. Also, my son is getting to the age where two dinners are becoming an expectation and my daughter has developed an expensive, award-winning crochet habit, which is not something I ever anticipated saying. I suppose it could be worse: she could play Magic: the Gathering.
Speaking of employment: if you or anyone you know is looking to hire a handsome, middle-aged gentleman for full- or part-time Creative Writing work, please keep me in mind! You can message me here on Facebook, or email me at “stevenjgaughran AT gmail DAWT CAWM.” Honestly, there are lots of ways to reach me, should you feel so inclined!
Farewell for now!
I wanted to thank everyone who joined us for another exciting season of The Adventures of Red Knight. It has been a pleasure to create these stories for you, and I hope that we’ve been able to add a little joy to your life.
Wishing you all many exciting adventures in the days ahead,